Saturday 9 June 2012

The Lucky Thirteenth one!

Hey boys and girls!

Well! I must say...it's been a while! Apologies for that, I don't know about any other investigators out there BUT I have been run off of my feet! It is as if the surveillance world has just burst open and all these new cases are piling out! It's crazy! But can't complain, more work means more money for the majority of us out there, or well that's as the saying goes.

Hope you have all been well! Winter is upon us (Here in Australia anyway) and I don't know about you guys but I definitely have bought a blanket into my car, helps keep warm on those really early mornings! Especially when you can't run your motor for the heater to keep warm as it would give away your whole vantage point.

With working A LOT these past few weeks I definitely have gained some interesting stories...I've rescued cats from getting run over, taken lost dogs to a vet, watched the front end of a prestigious car get taken away by a truck at a set of traffic lights, and watched a man who is currently unfit walk along whistling swinging around his walking stick..but I had a situation that I will never ever forget.

I had been given yet another medical to cover in the CBD (I am pretty sure I am now the "go-to-girl" when it comes to medicals) and I did everything to a Tee! Followed the guy there, got him going in, and followed him all the way back to the train station, and updated the client who told me to cease for the day and go home and get out of the rain. Well during this day I had a dear friend staying in the CBD, and I had organised to catch up before she left the next day. So I called and called and called, actually started to get worried and called her son, one of my best friends, and got him to try. After an hour of no luck I gave up and figured I'd take up the clients idea and get home and out of the rain. So I got my train ticket, took up a seat and sat back, watched a movie on my Ipod and tried to enjoy the hour train ride home. After a stop I observed a man with 2 young girls board the train, they were all carrying really big bags and actually huffed and collapsed on the seats in front of me. After about 5 stops the youngest fell asleep on her luggage, quickly followed by her not much older sister.
I didn't mean to laugh, but for those that haven't seen the movie "Horrible Bosses" download it and check it out! Especially surveillance people, there is a part where they start surveillance, and you'll laugh just as I did. This caught the attention of the Dad and he started talking to me. Just small talk to start off with, but we got full into conversation and he started telling me about his two young blonde blue eyed girls, about how he is a single parent since his wife ran away from him and left him stranded to raise the girls alone for the last 7 years, he told me about his work accident and told me that he had surveillance on him, and he was currently with lawyers and his bosses to come to agreements on the pay out since all the footage supported his claim, he told me about how hard it is being a dad and being judged by the other parents at the school his girls attend. When the girls woke up they told me their ages and they were 8 and 9 years old, and I learnt that they were on a trip from Melbourne and were heading to Sydney to take part in their karate tournament.
By now we were past halfway to my train station, and he was looking at a map and trying to figure out how to get to his hotel from the train station. Just looking out the window made me depressed since it was literally like pouring outside, and one look at the girls trying not to fall back to sleep on their luggage and knowing they had just got off a flight and had to walk to their hotel or catch a cab I felt bad for them, and I don't know why I did it, I have definitely never done it before, but I offered them a lift to their hotel. With many thanks the Dad agreed and took me up on my offer. The youngest daughter, got up and started talking about karate, asking me about how I keep my hair long and telling me all about the mean boys in school, and the eldest laughed and also told me about her school and friends.
After a little while, they got off at my train stop and helped me load my car with all their bags. On the way to their hotel, their Dad insisted on buying me lunch to say thanks, I wasn't particularly hungry, but I knew the girls were just at the way they piped up at the mention of the word "lunch" and I for one wouldn't want them walking in the rain down to the shops from their hotel just for some lunch, so I agreed.
At their hotel you could have sworn that the rain started to fall even harder, and it was a rush of trying not to get wet and getting their luggage inside. Out of no where the youngest daughter hugged me around the waist and looked up and gave me the biggest smile and told me that I was the kindest stranger ever, I think just seeing her smile made the whole helping strangers thing worth it, and then she held my hand as we carried luggage into reception.
On saying goodbye and making sure they were set and had everything both girls gave me hugs, which I thought was pretty cute, but what made my heart feel like it was breaking was when the youngest daughter looked up at me and said the strangest thing ever; "I hope I don't die too soon cos I hope I meet you again". I swear I will never in my life forget that sentence that came out of her mouth. I looked at her father and watched him scrunch up his face, I was shocked but gave her another hug and said goodbye. The girls ran inside to watch the bags whilst their father stayed out and shook my hand to say thanks and informed me that his youngest has cancer.
He said to me, that he may be a single dad and his daughter may have cancer and her mum may not care since she ran away but he is doing whatever it takes to fill his daughters life with memories, experiences and as much normality as he can so that she can get the most out of life just in case it is taken too early from her. He thanked me and said I didn't realise how much it meant to them since help doesn't often come their way, but then bid me goodbye and waved me off.
Never in my life have I ever wanted to cry so much in the presence of a stranger, my heart went out to that little 8 year old girl and her family and I honestly felt like giving them a lift to their hotel to stay out of the rain wasn't enough. But I couldn't think and didn't know what else to do and didn't want to cry in front of the girls or their Dad, so I left them with a big smile and waves.
I'm now glad that my plans didn't work out that day and that I was able to help a family when they needed it, no matter how insignificant that help may seem to me, it was big to them and I honestly hope that little girl lives to a ripe old age. She seemed too full of life to have it be taken away from her.

I guess that this shows me that even though I sit there day in and day out watching people scam the system and lying to a lot of people around them, there are other people out there who honestly are good people. They aren't all bad out there.

I hope that even though with this job we generally automatically distrust and assume the worst in people, others can see that there is some good out there and that sometimes helping a stranger can bring you some happiness and what you may think is a small gesture is significantly large to the person you are helping.

In other news, I'm facing new surroundings as I have moved far away from the CBD and am now conducting surveillance in rural areas, which every surveillance case presents more challenges, and am also learning factual investigations through the company I work for. I figure expanding my knowledge base can't be harmful.

Well boys and girls, I think that's all for now, SO stay safe, rug up and keep warm and maybe if an opportunity presents itself where you can lend a hand, think twice before turning away.

Bunny
xox




1 comment: